X-Tend is designed to respond to the demands of technologically advanced operators to stabilize children in a precise and efficient way enabling progressive loading on the lower limbs. X-Tend’s numerous innovative solutions were created specifically (and exclusively!) to allow the operator to easily adapt each support to the different body segments and to the special rehabilitative needs; rigorous research of forms suitable to the function to be performed and the use of many moulds to create different ad hoc supports makes X-Tend a “unique” product!
X-Tend is a stabilizer for standing with differentiated abduction of the lower limb supports to gradually reach a semi-prone position from 0° to 45°. It is supplied in two sizes and thanks to its many adjustment possibilities it adapts perfectly to the requirements and needs of each child from 3 to 14 years. The stabilizer is made of a frame with the necessary elements to stabilize and contain the standing posture, especially in the first stages of elevation: an embracing thorax support, abdominal support, two supports for the lower limbs independently adjustable and with fulcrum of the physiological divarication as well as a multifunction table are all elements that support and give the child a sense of security, allowing him to carry out the various functional activities with his upper limbs in complete freedom. X-Tend is, therefore, an excellent choice to help the child to gradually increase the load on the lower limbs and to prepare him – whenever possible and appropriate – to the use of a walker. X-Tend is available in the “full option” configuration that includes a pelvis restraining system.
The special feature of X-Tend are the two supports for the lower limbs, which can also be divaricated independently, with the fulcrum of physiological abduction to ensure the proper position of the femoral head in the acetabulum.
All adjustments of each individual segment can be made independently and without the use of tools.
X-Tend can be reclined forwards using a gas spring which enables the passing from a vertical position to a complete 45° prone position and vice versa, and enables the reaching by degrees of the desired inclination according to the rehabilitation objectives.
X-TEND, WHY IS IT SO EFFECTIVE?
X-Tend stimulates a child’s awareness of his standing position and prepares for the task of gaining greater anti-gravity control, also with the aid of canes or walkers. Furthermore, the ability to switch from vertical to a position that reduces the load on the lower limbs, and vice versa, enables prolonged use of the aid avoiding the protracted load stress typical of classical stabilizers.
The aid can also be adapted to children with different needs since it offers both a minimum support, for children who have postural control capacity and need to be stimulated to more complete autonomy in the acquisition of the standing position, and a greater and more complex support for children who do not have sufficient trunk control.
The various components are quickly and precisely adjustable even during use: after helping the child to stand on the aid and carrying out initial approximate positioning to ensure stabilization of the global posture, the therapist can millimetrically adjust the most important elements in order to adapt X-Tend to the smallest changes in postural needs. All main adjustments can be made without the use of tools or keys.
The physiotherapist's advice
The proposal of the achievement and maintenance of the upright position is essential, in fact, it has significant benefits on the child’s physical health, not to mention the psychological benefits! Assistive devices called stabilizers are used for static (standing), as they allow to maintain an upright posture in children who do not have the skills to do it independently. Very often these devices are used both as a preliminary step to the autonomous standing and walking, both as a preventative tool for secondary and tertiary damages (muscle-tendon contractures and hip dislocation, for example) in children that will take many years before learning walking or children who probably will not walk independently.
X-TEND, STEP BY STEP
- The lower limb supports are adjustable in height to allow independent leg abduction by means of a worm screw that ensures precise adjustments even with the child already standing on the stabilizer. The supports are designed so that the abduction fulcrum is physiological to ensure the proper position of the femoral head in the acetabulum under load.
- The embracing, customizable front thorax support adapts perfectly to the child’s body, as it is made up of several elements, each one controlled independently: in this way the child has maximum support at the sternum level and great freedom in the upper limbs to perform actions or movements that induce trunk extension and release the upper back. The support is supplied with a thorax belt that increases back support.
- Upon request, the structure can be completed with a multipurpose wooden tray, applicable on the structure without extra devices or the use of tools. The tray can tilt and enables correct and comfortable support even during rehabilitation phases that require the stabilizer to be tilted forward.
- The pelvis restraint (included in the full options configuration) is adjustable in depth and height, to adapt pelvis support on the sagittal plane according to the child’s needs. The possibility to recline the lumbosacral thrust and the special design of the base allows the therapist maximum accessibility to the aid during rehabilitation and the child can also move independently from his wheelchair to the stabilizer.
- The knee supports are adjustable in height, width, angle and depth through a worm screw and are fixed on orbital joints to allow precise management of the various degree and tilt angles. The knee support is padded and has a central hole to decrease load pressure on the patella; furthermore, the side inserts are deformable for better contact with the medial and lateral parts of the knee.
- The footrests are independently adjustable in depth and a lever enables complete orientation of the supports.
- The base has been designed to facilitate assistance by the operator and above all to allow easy access to the child who is able to approach the wheelchair independently and, if possible, to actively participate during the transfer.
Are you interested in this product? Fill the form and tick “X-TEND”
Wooden table adjustable in height and angle. One size
blue – violet – green – orange